What do education professors need to understand about urban education that we may not currently emphasize with our students? This was one of the questions posed to the plenary session panelists.
Due to time, I couldn't share my thoughts but was able to share them with the person after the session. My response went like this...
Fear: grow understanding of its ability to annihilate the spirit
1. Use all available stereotypes to help you select a school (urban/rural/suburban) that fits your culture's definition of "disadvantaged".
2. Now get there by the start of the school day without using your access to personal transportation.
Hunger: grow understanding of its ability to internalize habits of distraction
1. Assess your regular eating habits during a week and record your readiness to learn
2. Reduce it by a half or more for a least one week and record how your readiness to learn
1. Substitute teach - this activity has the potential to challenge a variety of mental models